Sunday, October 7, 2012

To Text or Not To Text?

My friends and I were recently discussing how texting has changed the game. Social media as surged us light years ahead of the Mad Men days and in some ways that is good (I thank my lucky stars that I don't have to wear a corset and nylons every day and have more career options than housewife and secretary) HOWEVER let's face it - chivalry has been slowly disappearing year by year and now it's a damn miracle if you can get a guy to actually, imagine it, PICK UP THE PHONE and CALL YOU. Before texting, remind me how we communicated?

Let's disect a recent texting conversation...
He Who Only Texts: Hey
Me: Hey there, how are you?

4 hours later......
He Who Only Texts: Busy with work. What are you doing this weekend?
Me: Boo work. Happy Hour with a friend on Friday and then Saturday pool. You?
He Who Only Texts: Not sure yet. Gotta get some stuff done on my house.
Me: Good for you!

2 days later....Friday 4pm.
He Who Only Texts: Hey
Me: Hey
He Who Only Texts: What are you doing?
Me: About to leave work. Yay!
He Who Only Texts: Wanna meet for Happy Hour?
Me: Remember, I already have happy hour plans. Sorry!
He Who Only Texts: :-(
Me: I could do a late dinner?

SILENCE.

Really? REALLY? Reeeeeaaaaalllllly? Let's start with the fact that he starts a conversation but never ends one. Secondly, ask me what I'm doing this weekend and don't ask me out OR text me until Friday at 4pm? WTF? And finally, did you not listen, er, I mean READ, what I was doing this weekend in the first place? So how would this have gone different if the dude had actually called? A) perhaps he would have caught what my current weekend plans were since we were having a conversation instead of him not reading a text while he was multi-tasking watching ESPN or manscaping. B) if he would have called on Friday we could have talked about a back up plan to hang out later that night or later that weekend.

Point is: Texting changes the game! It relieves the guy of any accountability for communication or planning. They can ask you to hang out Wednesday and say they will text you and then let Wednesday come and go and the next time you hear from them is a "You up?" "You out?" series of drunk texts on Saturday night. Again I say WTF?

In perfect timing, a friend sent me one of those "10 Rules for Dating" articles which I typically read and say yeah, yeah, yeah but this time, this time it may have changed my life! Rule #5 was "And speaking of texting...don't". Don't get caught in the texting trap! Don't become the girl who has an hour long conversation via text becuase then he will never pick up the phone! You'll become the text girl. Does anyone else see the light bulb over your head or like Oprah realize you are having an "ah ha" moment? My lightbulb is screaming YOU ARE THE TEXT GIRL. Well, crap.

So with that I will lend you the advice of the column which says we should never text the guy first, not even to say hi. Don't ever initiate a text or call ever and see how that changes when you meet someone new. I challenge you ladies. It's hard and especially if you've hit the bottle that night, haha, but you can do it! Just add it to your list of rules - side salad instead of fries and DON'T TEXT.

Carrie Bradshaw didn't text. Hell, Carrie Bradshaw didn't even have a cell phone!

No comments:

Post a Comment